Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving and Lexi Doodle

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. Originally, I had planned on a fun filled, activity packed weekend with Daddy, mommy, and baby, but our plans changed as we learned our sweet Lexi girl needed sugery. She had a tumor on her hind leg that was protruding from her skin. It was an open wound, and we could tell it was bothering her. We put her on a course of antibiotics, but when nothing changed, we were told she would need surgery to remove it.

Oh, my poor Lexi. This story is dreadful. I have a few pictures too so if you have a queasy stomach, don't look at the pics. We took her in on Wednesday because we knew we would be home over the holiday to take care of her. She went in to have her tumor removed, and it went great. She was there all day, and she was groggy and out of it when we picked her up. 

About 30 minutes after we got home, we noticed that her sutures had already bust open! You can tell by this picture that some of the stitches had already popped open. We were worried about her incision being open so daddy packed her up (after all she had been through!) and took her the 24 hour emergent care vet to get her sutures fixed up.

She actually had to get her wound stapled close. So after her surgery, she had to spend another hour getting stapled. I was devastated to say the least, and I felt so bad for Lexi. All I wanted was to get her home and make her comfortable. When she got home, I made her a little bed on a blanket right next to me.

All night, she whimpered and cried and it broke my heart. I didn't get very much sleep and with a Thanksgiving dinner to prepare for our family, I was exhausted! We did have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of happiness and great food. I made a few firsts like homemade cranberry sauce, and everyone enjoyed the feast. 

The next day, more of Lexi's sutures were falling out. This poor dog couldn't catch a break. The emergent care only stapled around the sutures so her wound was not looking good. We decided to take her back to the vet to get her checked out, and they admitted her. I was not a happy camper. They decided to open it all up, clean it out, and re-close the incision with stents. So, she had two surgeries in three days. This poor girl! She came out of the second surgery and as her anesthesia wore off, she was hurting. 

She is a trooper, but she has had a rough go of it for the past four days. I hope she makes a speedy recovery because I am so sad for my Lexi girl. She hasn't moved much and I know she is in pain. I am  looking for my squirrel chasing, frisbee catching, best friend back. I can't wait to see her again!

No comments:

Post a Comment