Sunday, April 10, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Over at Crafty Garden Mama, my friend Becky is making her own baby food. I have always wanted to do this for Kay for many reasons, and this post helped inspire me to get my ducks in a row. I hadn't gotten started because I haven't had time to get organized. Working full time as a mama makes it hard to do everything I want to do, but this is one of the things that is important to me. I want to give my baby girl healthy, nutritious meals. I won't even lick my finger if I get some baby food from a jar on it so I figure why do I want to give it to Kay. Hopefully, I can instill good eating habits and work on creating an adventurous eater.

Up until this weekend, I have been giving Kay Earth's Best. So far, she has had carrots, sweet potatoes, and pears.
I have been trying to buy organic, but I am not obsessed with it. I figure if there is an option, I may as well get it. Anyway, I like the packaging. Yes, I am that shallow...I often buy things because I like the packaging. HA! Those cute little jars remind me of what baby food is supposed to look like.

That is until these nifty little doodads.



A not-so-quick trip to BuyBuyBaby helped me get the rest of the things I needed to get started. I really want one of these, but I have an old steamer pot and a food processor so I can't justify it. You know the $200 food processor you put on your wedding registry that has only been used on occasion at your few attempts to make pesto.


Yea, I have one of those. Becky's post gave me a starting point, and it seems she is right. Annabel Karmel is the guru. Check out her website here. I got her App for my phone, and I love it.


Now, would I recommend you paying like 7 bucks for this App? No, and don't ask me why I did. I get App happy what can I say. It is super helpful and it gives so much information, but it doesn't give a TON of recipes. She has the basic ones that I need for first foods. Not sure if I am into the 6-9 month category because there are a ton of fish purees which make me want to vomit worse than jarred baby food, but I LOVE this App. I am sure you could get the recipes with a quick google search or check on her website.





I have purchased some other baby food Apps, and they were horrible. If you are like me and you are not into buying cookbooks...you might like it. So, here's to a day full of chopping, steaming, and pureeing! This little cutie is going to love her food that is made with love (she better!).

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about this. I love the app recommendation. Totally random, but what kind of camera do you us and do you shoot in manual mode or automatic? Your pics are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We've done carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, papaya, peas, rutabaga, avocado and applesauce so far. The papaya and avocado don't need any cooking. They just need to be smashed with a fork and I add breastmilk to the avocado. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I shoot with a Canon 40D (purchased used from ebay after begging the hubby)! I wish I could shoot in manual! I usually shoot in AV mode. I hate shooting in auto because I always get the flash inside and I am not a fan. I have NO CLUE how to use the photoshop elements I have so I just brighten a bit in iphoto and I am on my merry way. I want aperture or light room so badly. I did the test drives and I loved them. I am desperate for a mentor session or a class. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete